As global food security begins to waver in the face of a growing population, climate change and socio-economic factors, our better understand of the applied field of crop pest management becomes critical. Also important are the study of forestry pests, which in some cases can slow down tree growth (and therefore timber production) by years and insect vectors of disease which spread life-threatening diseases worldwide. Follow the links to learn more about these pests and the methods used to control them, including the principle that attempts to bring all methods of control together: integrated pest management.
– Sowing the seeds: Pests of Agriculture
– The roots grow deep: Forestry Pests
– The plague of Insects : Disease Vectors
– Are the Old Ways Best? Chemical Control
– Using their own weapons against them: Biological Control
– Bringing it all together: Integrated Pest Management